Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Dr. Song 50% Lactic Acid Facial Peel


#drsong
To be honest, I wasn't very familiar with chemical peels before trying this product. I did a bit of research before I used it because I did not want to risk damaging my skin. It turns out there are several different types of chemical peels each with it's own benefits.

You have the glycolic acid peel which is the most common and comes in different strengths and pH levels. It is used to treat fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, improvement of skin texture and skin brightening.

There is also the salicylic acid peel which is a hydroxy acid that penetrates deeper into the oil glands causing exfoliation which makes it ideal for treating acne and oily skin.

The one I tried was the lactic acid peel (50% strength). The stronger the strength the deeper it penetrates the skin. Lactic acid occurs naturally in human skin and found in milk. It is less irritating than other AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) and has a natural moisturizing effect on the skin. It is ideal for skin brightening. It can be used to treat pigmentation, dry or dehydrated skin, sensitive skin or rosacea.

There are several other types of acids but I'm not going to explain them all. I want to focus on the lactic acid peel because that is the one I am most familiar with. I was very hesitant to try this chemical peel at first because I had never tried one before. The thought of burning the skin off my face was not very pleasant.

For a first time chemical peel user, it would have been wiser to start out with a lower strength peel. However, I felt confident that I knew what I was doing. I did a patch test on the skin just below my ear 24 hours before I actually did my entire face to see if my skin would react well to it. I had no problems.

What I did was apply the acid generously all over my face using a foundation brush avoiding sensitive areas such as around the eyes and mouth and nostrils. When I say generously I don't mean dripping. Just enough to cover my entire face. Once application was complete I started the stopwatch on my phone and let the acid sit on my face for one minute. The entire time my face started to tingle and itch. This is to be expected. It is acid after all. Reaching the one minute mark it almost became unbearable. It wasn't painful just not very comfortable.

I quickly rinsed it off my face thoroughly and then patted my face dry. I then took a cotton ball and applied a toner all over my face to neutralize the acid. My face was a bit red and blotchy in places. I did have some active acne on my face which was left further irritated but it really helped them dry up quickly.

Acid peels take a while to actually see true results but I did notice a reduction in my pore size after my first application. I am eager to start seeing real results in a few weeks. I am going to try and do a peel once every 3 weeks. The peel was not really that bad. Not like I expected at all. I expected to see my skin fall off into the sink but it's nothing like that at all.

I highly recommend this product but I would suggest doing a bit of research before making a purchase to see which type of peel would work best for your skin and start out with a lower strength peel to see how your skin will react.

I have high hopes for this product. I am confident that my skin will look better than ever in a few weeks. I will come back to update once I can actually see a difference.

If you are interested in learning more about this particular product you can visit the company website here. You can also purchase this product on Amazon for $14.00 +4.99 shipping.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment